What Should I Pack For The Manaslu Circuit Trek?
25 May 2023 Chandra Gurung
Things get challenging while choosing what to pack for the Manaslu circuit trek. Manaslu trek offers an adventurous and challenging trekking route. That gets more challenging while making a backpack for such an adventurous trek. Create a packing list for Manaslu trek considering the trip’s weather, duration, and activities. The circuit is a challenging trek requiring a moderate fitness level, prior trekking experience, or a guide. Proper packing is essential for this trek. Trekkers should pack smartly and lightly, bringing essential gear like clothing, equipment, and personal hygiene items. Follow travel restrictions, choose a bag with robust zippers and comfortable straps, pack important goods, organize belongings, protect valuables, respect local customs, and leave room for memories.
Introduction To Manaslu Circuit Trek
There are various trekking routes in Nepal’s Gandaki region, the Manaslu Circuit Trek is one of the most well-known and difficult. The trek is approximately 177 kilometers long and typically takes 14 days. Along the way, you’ll experience remote people with ancient culture. You can also experience a mix of base camp, high pass, and beautiful nature. The trek begins with a full-day drive from Kathmandu to Arughat and crosses the steep Budhi Gandaki River. Then you enter the Manaslu Conservation Area and stone-roofed Buddhist villages. Crossing Larky La Pass is difficult, but the trek eventually connects with the Annapurna Circuit.
A new lodge at Dharamsala make easy for trekkers to use teahouses instead of camping. But they still need to bring their camping equipment.
Pack For The Manaslu Circuit Trek
Packing light and smartly when trekking the Manaslu Circuit in Nepal is imperative. The trek requires proper gear and equipment .Due to changes in temperature, pressure, and oxygen levels as you ascend to 5,210m you should choose wisely. So you can include the list of items during Manaslu Circuit trek.
Clothing and Garments To Pack For The Manaslu Circuit Trek:
Clothing is one of the important things to pack for the Manaslu Circuit trek. As you prepare for your trek, it’s essential to pack the right clothing. To ensure that you stay comfortable and safe throughout the journey. Consider carrying the below-listed items as clothing for the Manaslu circuit trek.
- Base layers: To resist decreasing temperature pack a pair of thermal tops and bottoms made of wool or synthetic fabric.
- Insulated Jacket: Predicting temperature can be challenging while travelling through high altitudes. The temperature can change any time, so it’s crucial to pack an insulated jacket to keep you warm. A down jacket will do great for you.
- Trekking pants: Pack a few comfortable, quick-drying hiking pants that provide comfort and protect you from the elements. Look for pants with Zip-offs legs for versatility.
- Waterproof Jacket: Considering unpredictable weather, it is very important to pack a waterproof jacket to keep you dry during rain or snow.
- Fleece jacket: Fleece jacket is an excellent mid-layer option that provides warmth without adding bulk.
- Scarf: A scarf is a versatile accessory to protect your face, neck, or head from the sun, wind, or cold.
- Raincoat: Consider carrying a lightweight raincoat to protect yourself from rain and snow.
- Thermal pants and under wears: Thermal pants and underwear are excellent base layers that provide warmth and help you adapt to colder temperatures. These types of clothing are specifically designed to retain body heat. They are extremely helpful in keeping you comfortable and preventing hypothermia during outdoor activities in colder weather.
Footwear To Pack For The Manaslu Circuit Trek:
Hiking Boots: For the Manaslu trek, investing in a pair of well-made hiking boots with decent ankle support that have ability to handle rough terrain can be a fantastic decision.
Socks: Bring multiple pairs of thick, moisture-wicking socks to your feet dry and comfy throughout long days of walking.
Gloves and hats: When preparing for cold weather, it is important to pack warm hats and gloves to shield your hands and head from the chilly temperatures. It will help to prevent frostbite and keep you comfortable during your outdoor activities.
Trekking sandals: Bring a pair of comfortable trekking sandals to overcome the burden of wearing shoes. Sandals are beneficial for providing proper rest to your feet.
Equipment And Accessories To Pack For The Manaslu Circuit Trek:
- Sunglasses: When at high altitudes, the sun’s intensity can be strong, making it important to bring sunglasses with UV protection.
- Sleeping Bag: A good quality sleeping bag rated below freezing is essential for staying warm and comfortable during cold nights.
- Trekking Poles: Trekking poles provide support and stability on steep and uneven terrain, reducing the strain on your knees and ankles.
- Head torch with extra batteries: A head torch with extra batteries is essential for navigating in the dark or early morning hours.
- Water Bottles Bring two or more water bottles on the trek to ensure you have enough to stay hydrated.
- Water Purification Tablets or Filter: It’s important to treat all water sources before drinking to avoid getting sick from waterborne illnesses.
- First Aid Kit: For minor or major injuries, bring a kit with basic supplies like bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, and medications for altitude sickness.
- Sunscreen and Lip Balm: Bring lip balm and a high-SPF sunscreen to protect your skin from sunburn and chapping because the sun can be very strong at higher altitudes.
- Toiletries: Pack basic toiletries like toothbrushes, toothpaste, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper.
- Camera: Bring a camera with at least a 1-inch sensor to capture the stunning views along the way and keep it as a lifetime memory.
- Duct tape and safety pins:- Duct tape can be handy to patch holes and boxes and carry safety pins like nail cutters, scissors, etc.
- Universal adapter:-It will be very helpful to recharge your gears.
Note: Investing in high-quality gear that will last throughout the trek is important. Before packing the gear, be sure to inspect it for damage.
Trek Permits for Manaslu Circuit Trek:
Manaslu Circuit Trek requires three permits. They are the Manaslu Restricted Permit, the Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP), and the MCAP (Manaslu Conservation Area Permit). Due to its importance, the Manaslu Restricted permit is the first and foremost thing to pack for the Manaslu circuit trek. It allows you to pass through the restricted area. Also, consider carrying ACAP and MCAP, which allow you to pass through the Annapurna and Manaslu Conservation Areas.
The charge for permits varies depending on the season you are visiting. During peak trekking season (September to November), the cost of the permits is higher than during the offseason (December to August). It’s important to check with your trekking agency before you book your trek to know the cost of the permits.
Carrying your permits during the trek is important, as you should show it at various checkpoints. If you do not have permits, you will be deported from the region. So ensure you have all the necessary permits before starting your Manaslu Circuit Trek.
- Valid Passport: If you are a foreigner, then you should have a valid passport with 2-3 copies of the same and a photo of yourself
- Trip details and airplane details: Carry details that show your airplane and trip overview.
- Visa of Nepal: You can collect it from Kathmandu airport or visit the embassy.
- Passport size photos: Carry at least 5 pp size photos which can be used during permits or for local sim cards.
- Travel Insurance: Make sure to carry a copy of travel insurance containing medical emergencies and other documents.
- Cash & Credit Cards: Carry at least ($200-300) along with your credit/debit card. Consider carrying Nepali currency. You can exchange it in any Nepali bank.
Map Of The Area:
It is another necessary thing to pack for the Manaslu circuit trek. Understanding of the trek path and a good map of the trekking path is very helpful in case of lost cases.
How Can You Have A Safe Manaslu Circuit Trek?
The following guidelines must be followed to enjoy and be safe during the Manaslu trek:-
- Start training early
- Get necessary gears
- Stay hydrated
- Get a medical checkup
- Carry enough cash
- Hire a local guide
- Get travel insurance
- Respect a local culture
- Have a positive attitude
A packing list is provided as a guideline, which includes essential .Such as travel documents, clothing, trekking equipment, first aid and medicines, toiletries, and personal hygiene items.
Laundry can be done along the way, so pack only the most essential and lightweight clothing. Weather, altitude, culture, and weight must be considered while packing a bag for the Manaslu circuit trek.
You can deal with the challenges of route to make most of your experience by taking our recommendations into consideration. While on your journey, prioritize your well-being by packing tightly, drinking enough water, and staying hydrated.